A U Nonimmigrant Visa (U-Visa) lets victims of crimes who meet certain requirements stay in the United States. A U-Visa provides the following benefits:

  • U-Visa recipients can legally live in the United States for four years. After three years of having a U-Visa, you can apply for a green card to stay in the U.S. permanently. After being a permanent resident for five years you can may apply to become a United States Citizen.
  • A U-Visa allows you to get work authorization to legally work in the United States.
  • Qualifying family members might also be able to get a U-Visa.

There are three legal requirements a U-Visa applicant must satisfy in order to qualify for a U-Visa. First, you must be the victim of a crime in the United States. Second, you must have helped or cooperated with the police or prosecutors regarding the crime you reported. Last, the crime must have hurt you mentally or physically.

Once you meet the above-mentioned legal requirements, you will need to file various forms, such as Supplement B, Form I-918, Form I-192, a personal statement, and any evidence you may have to support your claim. These documents must be submitted to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, the agency responsible for adjudicating your U-Visa application.